Thinking about sharing some of your time and energy with us? We’d love to have you join our team!
- our volunteers are people of all ages helping others to enjoy a better quality of life
- volunteers are an essential part of our organization
- it takes over 100 volunteers per day to make the Food Bank run
The Calgary Food Bank is an industrial warehouse.
- volunteers are considered workers under Occupational Health and Safety legislation
- as a Food Bank volunteer, you are responsible for your own health and safety, and the health and safety of others
- you are expected to work in compliance with the Food Bank's policies and procedures - please take a moment to review our Safety Policies
What age must you be to volunteer at the Calgary Food Bank?
- the minimum age to volunteer in our warehouse is 12 years old
- volunteers between ages 12 and 15 must be accompanied by an adult
- volunteer opportunities are sometimes available at special events for youth under the age of 12 when accompanied by an adult
The Calgary Food Bank places lots of different kinds of volunteers and offers a variety of shifts.
- Individual and Family Opportunities
- Group Opportunities
- Special Event Opportunities
- Community Service Opportunities
- Operations Volunteers work in our warehouse sorting donations or putting together Emergency Food Hampers
- Distribution Volunteers work on our distribution line, giving Hampers to clients
- Phone Room Volunteers answer our Hamper Request Line
- Greeters welcome clients to the Food Bank and provide them with information and assistance
- Volunteer Drivers go out and about in the community dropping off event kits and donation boxes or picking up donations
- Receivers work at our dock door accepting and recording donations
- Maintenance Volunteers help with odd jobs around the warehouse like fixing leaky faucets, installing coat racks or touching up paint
- there are opportunities for groups to volunteer with the Food Bank throughout the year
- grab your coworkers, sport team, classmates or friends and experience a fun and rewarding volunteer shift at the Food Bank
- groups volunteer in our warehouse
- duties can include sorting food, bagging food items or assembling hampers
- due to changes in supply and demand, the nature of our work can vary
- group volunteers may be asked to work in areas other than the ones to which they were originally assigned
- all volunteers are welcome to support special events - individuals, families and groups
- Food Bank events are a fun way to volunteer and are flexible enough to fit in with the rest of the activities in your life
Special Event volunteer opportunities.
We facilitate a community service program through which individuals with court-assigned mandates can complete their required hours. Contact Volunteer Resources at 403.253.2059 option #2 or send an email for further information and program restrictions.
The Calgary Food Bank's volunteer program is funded in part by Family and Community Support Services.
THE CITY OF CALGARY &
THE PROVINCE OF ALBERTA