Thank you for your patience as we developed a plan so we can continue to safely serve our clients while doing our part to protect public health. Things will look different at the Food Bank for the time being due to the need for social distancing to slow the spread of COVID-19. We’re calling on our vast and amazing volunteer team to help us fill necessary shifts. A couple of important things to note before signing up:
- AHS has restricted gatherings of over 15 people. This include seniors and those with pre-existing health conditions as they are at a greater risk of complications if they contract COVID-19. With that in mind, we kindly ask that you do not sign up for a shift at this time if you are in either of these categories.
- Please complete AHS’s COVID-19 online screening tool prior to committing to a volunteer shift, and weekly before each shift.
Please see below for the shifts we need assistance with. Available shift times for all roles are:
Monday to Friday
8 am – 11 am
11 am – 2 pm
2 pm – 5 pm
5 pm – 8 pm
Current volunteers: Please email us to sign up; signup through Better Impact is not available for these shifts.
New volunteers: Please fill out our volunteer form on Better Impact. You will get a link to complete our health and safety training and then be able to sign up for shifts by emailing our Volunteer Resource team.
Sort donations from donation boxes, grouping them into their categories like canned tomatoes, soup and peanut butter.
Food Link Assistants
Shifts starting at 8 am will be assisting agencies with their order pick up. All other shifts will be building bulk orders for our partner agencies.
You will be on a team of two meeting clients outside at their vehicles to verify their ID before they pick up their hamper. Please dress in layers!
Health and Safety
Please help us maintain a healthy and safe environment by taking the following precautionary measures while volunteering:
- Please adhere to the recommended social distancing of 2 meters (6 feet) between people.
- Please enter the building through Door 3. Door 3 is located on the west side of the building; follow the signage for Donations in the parking lot.
- Please leave the building through the Administration doors, follow the exit signs.
- Please do not log in for your shift on the computer in the volunteer break room. Hours will be tracked by Volunteer Resources staff, there is no need to log in or out.
- To increase social distance, we will not be running the volunteer shuttle van. We ask that volunteers park on 12A Street.
- Please arrive as close to your shift start time as possible, no earlier than 5 minutes before your shift, and leave the building promptly after your shift in order to minimize the number of people in the building at once.
- All volunteers must commit to the same shift each week until further notice.
- Each volunteer may only sign up for one shift per week.
the gift of time
Ready to volunteer?
For more information, call 403-253-2059 Ext.2 or email Volunteer Resources.
We have switched to a new platform for our volunteers called Better Impact. Please be patient in this time of transition. Thank you!
What you need to know
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I complete my court ordered volunteer hours at the Food Bank?
Yes, we are able to accept most people into our program but it is dependent on the charge. Registration for court ordered volunteer hours is:
Tuesday 10 am - 1 pm
Wednesday 3 - 5 pm
Thursday 1- 3 pm
Please register at the Calgary Food Bank, 5000 11 Street SE, Calgary AB T2H 2Y5.
How do I become a volunteer?
It's an easy 3 step process!
- Review the volunteer opportunities.
- Fill out the online application form.
- Attend the volunteer orientation session.
How old do you have to be to volunteer?
To volunteer in our warehouse youth must be at least 12 years old. Youth 12 – 15 years old are required to volunteer with an adult, youth 16 years old and up can volunteer on their own. For special event volunteering, youth as young as 8 years old can join an adult.
What is the time commitment?
We have volunteers who are able to commit to a weekly schedule, but we also have volunteers who come in on an occasional basis when their schedule allows. Shifts are 2.5 to 3.5 hours long. Please review the specific volunteer opportunities for details.
How can I book a group to come in and volunteer?
Can I just drop in to volunteer if I have free time?
We love the enthusiasm of our volunteers but to ensure that we have enough work for everyone and coverage on all shifts all volunteers must schedule their shifts. Please make sure you schedule your shift ahead of time.
I'm a volunteer, where do I go to book a shift?
We are using Better Impact as our volunteer management system. You can log in to My Impact to schedule your shifts, update your information and so much more.
“The staff and the volunteers at the Food Bank are like family to me.”
Calgary Food Bank Volunteer
Want to know more?
Get in touch
For more information, call 403-253-2059 Ext.2 or email Volunteer Resources