Create A Gift Plan
The creation of a legacy gift is a personal choice and It is important that you create the plan that works best for you. Our Individual Giving Coordinator would be happy to help make it happen. Contact Leah Johnson-Clark at 403-253-2059 ext 292 or by email if you have any questions, or thoughts on what you envision your legacy could be.
- We can provide you with a Gift of Securities form so you can easily transfer the shares you wish to gift. Contact Leah for the form.
- Your gift is valued at the close of day value (fair market value) on the day it is received.
- A tax receipt is issued for the fair market value of the transferred securities.
- When you transfer shares ‘in-kind’ directly (versus selling the shares and giving the cash), the capital gains tax is eliminated.
- Talk with your family about your plan to make a gift through your will and why it is important to you.
- Meet with your trusted advisors to discuss how to fit the gift into your long-term financial plan and will.
- Contact Leah to obtain wording choices for your will or to discuss the details.
- Gift an asset like your house while you continue to live in your home on a life estate basis.
- A tax receipt is issued today for a calculated future value of the house.
- The Calgary Food Bank will take possession when you no longer need the house.
There are two ways to give through life insurance:
- Designate the Calgary Food Bank as a beneficiary of your policy. The tax receipt will help reduce estate taxes.
By changing ownership of the policy to the Calgary Food Bank you will create a future legacy and receive an annual tax receipt for the premiums paid.
- With a full life policy (fully paid) a tax receipt is issued for the cash surrender value of the policy at the time of the gift.
There are two ways to give RRSPs:
- Obtain consent from Canada Revenue Agency to donate RRSP or RRIF funds (or spousal RRSP) to a charity. Use the tax receipt on your next tax return.
- Designate the Calgary Food Bank as the beneficiary and the tax receipt will help reduce estate taxes.
For additional information, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website, ‘Giving to Charity – Information for Donors’.
Get In Touch
Contact Leah Johnson-Clark at 403-253-2059 ext 292 or by email.
Our legal name: Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank Society
Our address: 5000 11 Street SE, Calgary, AB T2H 2Y5
Canadian Charitable Registration Number: 130 167 349 RR0001