Create A Gift Plan
The creation of a legacy gift is a personal choice and It is important that you create the plan that works best for you. Our Individual Giving Coordinator would be happy to help make it happen. Contact a Calgary Food Bank representative by email at email@example.com if you have any questions, or thoughts on what you envision your legacy could be.
- Fill out the Gift of Securities form so you can easily transfer the shares you wish to gift.
- Your gift is valued at the close of day value (fair market value) on the day it is received.
- A tax receipt is issued for the fair market value of the transferred securities.
- When you transfer shares ‘in-kind’ directly (versus selling the shares and giving the cash), the capital gains tax is eliminated.
- Talk with your family about your plan to make a gift through your will and why it is important to you.
- Meet with your trusted advisors to discuss how to fit the gift into your long-term financial plan and will.
- Contact a Calgary Food Bank representative to obtain wording choices for your will or to discuss the details.
- Gift an asset like your house while you continue to live in your home on a life estate basis.
- A tax receipt is issued today for a calculated future value of the house.
- The Calgary Food Bank will take possession when you no longer need the house.
There are two ways to give through life insurance:
- Designate the Calgary Food Bank as a beneficiary of your policy. The tax receipt will help reduce estate taxes.
By changing ownership of the policy to the Calgary Food Bank you will create a future legacy and receive an annual tax receipt for the premiums paid.
- With a full life policy (fully paid) a tax receipt is issued for the cash surrender value of the policy at the time of the gift.
There are two ways to give RRSPs:
- Obtain consent from Canada Revenue Agency to donate RRSP or RRIF funds (or spousal RRSP) to a charity. Use the tax receipt on your next tax return.
- Designate the Calgary Food Bank as the beneficiary and the tax receipt will help reduce estate taxes.
For additional information, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website, ‘Giving to Charity – Information for Donors’.
Get In Touch
Contact a Calgary Food Bank giving representative at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our legal name: Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank Society
Our address: 5000 11 Street SE, Calgary, AB T2H 2Y5
Canadian Charitable Registration Number: 130 167 349 RR0001