Connect with usCareers
Our caring and dedicated staff are a significant part of what makes the Food Bank a great place to work. Be a part of an organization that fights hunger and its root causes, because no one should go hungry.
General Warehouse Worker
This position works to support our warehouse through the receiving, shipping and handling of goods using various material handling equipment.
- Support and maintain the operations of the warehouse through the receiving, shipping and handling of goods.
- Supervision and training of volunteers. Ensure all volunteers adhere to health and safety policies.
- Health and safety orientations as required that are specialized to the hazards and equipment in the area volunteers will be working.
- Support Client Services as required.
- Liaise with Volunteer Resources with regards to volunteers on the multi-duty, sorting or shopping shift.
- Ensure safe food handling procedures are followed.
- Safe and proper use of equipment.
- Following all health and safety procedures, including completing any required training.
- Participate in ensuring ongoing cleanliness of the Calgary Food Bank facility.
- Any other duties that may be required in the warehouse as time permits.
- Preparation of perishable hamper content as prioritized by the Logistics and Inventory Manager.
- Assist in building loads for shipping.
- Ensuring that donations are directed to the correct department.
- Loading and unloading vehicles and directing drivers.
- Proper recording of all incoming donations.
- Receiving and verification of purchased product.
- Directing community service workers.
- Proper tracking of pallet movement.
- Assisting with product rotation.
- Sanitation of dock and warehouse.
- Quality control and supervision of dry goods.
- Monitoring incoming product and identifying possible substitutions for guaranteed content.
- Waste disposal, composting and cardboard compacting.
- Ensuring that all donation boxes leaving the Calgary Food Bank are in good condition for food drives.
- Clearing dock of crates, trays, boxes, etc.
- Other tasks as required.
Skills and capabilities
- Must be able to make appropriate decisions in a fast-paced environment, be solutions oriented, and work independently when required.
- Provide positive support and leadership to all volunteers.
- You must enjoy working with a wide variety of people and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize required tasks.
- Well organized and ability to follow up.
- Basic math skills.
- Safe food handling knowledge.
- Computer literate.
Please submit your application before January 18, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest; suitable applicants will be contacted for further discussion and/or interview.
Education & Experience
Previous warehouse and power equipment experience required. Experience working with a wide variety of people or in a customer service capacity. Experience working with inventory and an IMS system.
This is a full time position, working Monday to Friday, 7 am to 3 pm. Working conditions are normal for a warehouse environment. Candidate must be able to be on feet for extended periods of time and be able lift and carry items up to 50 lbs. The hours of this role may vary, and the candidate must be open to other hours with advance notice.