Connect with usCareers
Come work with us! Our caring and dedicated staff are a significant part of what makes the Food Bank a great place to work. Be a part of an organization that fights hunger and its root causes, because no one should go hungry.
General Warehouse Worker
We are looking for a General Warehouse Worker to join our Logistics and Inventory team! This position is responsible for supporting and maintaining the Calgary Food Bank’s emergency food hamper distribution process through stocking perishable and non-perishable food items. This position also works to support our warehouse through the receiving, shipping and handling of goods using various material handling equipment.
- Support and maintain the operations of the warehouse through the receiving, shipping and handling of goods.
- Supervision and training of volunteers on the distribution shift. Ensure all volunteers adhere to health and safety policies.
- Coordinate and forecast with Client Services staff as to the amount of food to distribute to fulfill hamper requirements, while ensuring proper stock rotation.
- Responsible for stocking perishables and non-perishables for the Client Services distribution area both before the shift and during the shift, as required.
- Give health and safety orientations to volunteers that are specialized to the hazards and equipment in the area they will be working.
- Ensure safe food handling procedures are followed.
- Safe and proper use of equipment including material handling equipment.
- Following all Health and Safety procedures, including completing any required training.
- Participate in ensuring ongoing cleanliness and sanitation of the warehouse.
- Any other duties that may be required for general warehouse operations.
- Preparation of perishable hamper content as prioritized the Logistics and Inventory Supervisor.
- Assist in building loads for shipping.
- Ensuring that incoming donations are recorded and directed to the correct department.
- Loading and unloading client vehicles and directing drivers.
- Receiving and verification of purchased product.
- Proper tracking of pallet movement.
- Assisting the Logistics and Inventory team with product rotation.
- Quality control of perishable and non-perishable goods.
- Monitoring incoming product and identifying possible substitutions for guaranteed emergency food hamper content.
- Waste disposal, composting and cardboard compacting.
Decision making and leadership capabilities
- Must be able to make appropriate decisions in a fast-paced environment, be solutions oriented, and work independently when required.
- Provides positive support and leadership to all volunteers.
Skills and capabilities
- Interpersonal skills. You must enjoy working with a wide variety of people and have excellent communication skills.
- Multi-tasking, organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Basic math skills.
- Food handling knowledge.
- Computer literate.
Education & Experience
- Previous warehouse and power equipment experience.
- Experience working with a wide variety of people or in a customer service capacity.
- Experience working with inventory and a WMS system.
This is a full-time position, working Monday to Thursday, 12 to 8 pm and Friday, 8 am to 4 pm. The hours of this role may vary, and the candidate must be open to other hours with advance notice.
Working conditions are normal for a warehouse environment. Candidate must be able to be on feet for extended periods of time and be able lift and carry items up to 50 lbs.