Connect with usCareers
Our caring and dedicated staff are a significant part of what makes the Food Bank a great place to work. Be a part of an organization that fights hunger and its root causes, because no one should go hungry.
General Warehouse Worker
We are looking for a General Warehouse Worker to join our Logistics and Inventory team! This position works to support our warehouse through the receiving, shipping and handling of goods using various material handling equipment.
- Support and maintain the operations of the warehouse through the receiving, shipping and handling of goods.
- Supervision and training of volunteers. Ensure all volunteers adhere to health and safety policies.
- Health and safety orientations as required that are specialized to the hazards and equipment in the area volunteers will be working.
- Liaise with Volunteer Resources with regards to volunteers on the multi-duty, sorting or shopping shift.
- Ensure safe food handling procedures are followed.
- Safe and proper use of equipment.
- Following all health and safety procedures, including completing any required training.
- Participate in ensuring ongoing cleanliness of the Calgary Food Bank facility.
- Preparation of perishable hamper content as prioritized by the Logistics and Inventory Manager.
- Assist in building loads for shipping.
- Ensuring that donations are directed to the correct department.
- Loading and unloading vehicles and directing drivers.
- Proper recording of all incoming donations.
- Receiving and verification of purchased product.
- Directing community service workers.
- Proper tracking of pallet movement.
- Assisting with product rotation.
- Sanitation of dock and warehouse.
- Quality control and supervision of dry goods.
- Monitoring incoming product and identifying possible substitutions for guaranteed content.
- Waste disposal, composting and cardboard compacting.
- Ensuring that all donation boxes leaving the Calgary Food Bank are in good condition for food drives.
- Clearing dock of crates, trays, boxes, etc.
Skills and capabilities
- Must be able to make appropriate decisions in a fast-paced environment, be solutions oriented, and work independently when required.
- Provide positive support and leadership to all volunteers.
- You must enjoy working with a wide variety of people and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize required tasks.
- Well organized and ability to follow up.
- Basic math skills.
- Safe food handling knowledge.
- Computer literate.
Please submit your application before July 19, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest; suitable applicants will be contacted for further discussion and/or interview.
Education & Experience
Previous warehouse and power equipment experience required. Experience working with a wide variety of people or in a customer service capacity. Experience working with inventory and an IMS system.
This is a full-time position, working Monday to Thursday, 12 pm to 8:30 pm and Friday, 10 am to 4 pm. The hours of this role may vary, and the candidate must be open to other hours with advance notice.
Working conditions are normal for a warehouse environment. Candidate must be able to be on feet for extended periods of time and be able lift and carry items up to 50 lbs.