The Calgary Food Bank is looking for a Donations Assistant to join our Community Engagement team!
This is a front-line position involving face to face interactions with donors, volunteers and the general public with a focus on supporting donors and operations. The position is based in our warehouse and is highly donor focused with emphasis on expressing gratitude, providing information, writing acknowledgement receipts and receiving and handling donated goods and funds.
· The first point of contact for donors, providing customer service such as: answering enquiries, receiving donations of funds/food, and following donor appreciation protocols.
· Ability to communicate effectively with the increased number of new Canadians utilizing the Calgary Food Bank.
· This role also provides administrative and team support for individual giving, events and communication that enable successful food/fundraising activities in the community.
· Has a strong ability to support relationship development with a view to maintaining productive working relationships with teammates, volunteers, donors, and the general public.
· Ability to brainstorm marketing ideas for donor stewardship.
· Coordinates information for CFB databases through dispatch sheets.
· Follow through with all policies and procedures outlined by The Calgary Food Bank and other authorities such as the Canada Revenue Agency.
· Assists with appropriate training and coordination of volunteers.
· Has the ability to communicate with the Food Industry team, Logistics & Inventory Supervisors and other members of the Calgary Food Bank to process expected donations appropriately.
· Liaise with Logistics and Inventory Team to ensure smooth receiving of food donations.
· Works with rest of the Community Engagement Team to accept and ensure the accurate receipting of financial and in-kind donations.
· Is able to communicate the appreciation of the organization for the donor’s support of the community.
· Ensure safe food handling procedures are followed.
· May also be assisting Logistics and Inventory and Research and Client Services with tasks associated with the Receiving area including working with other front-line agencies to process and load bulk food orders.
· Participate in ensuring ongoing cleanliness of the Calgary Food Bank facility.
· Other duties as allocated by the Manager, Community Engagement.
Skills and Capabilities:
· Must have good attention to detail and be a capable decision maker.
· You must enjoy working with a wide variety of people and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to multi-task and prioritize required tasks.
· Well organized and have the ability to follow up.
· Resourceful and creative.
· Volunteer supervision skills.
· Computer literacy with ability to learn new software programs.
· Able to use a manual pallet jack to move food into, out of and within the building.
· An understanding of the nature and function of charitable organizations in Canada.
Want to apply? Interested applicants can email their resume, including a covering letter detailing your experience.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found. We thank all applicants for their interest; suitable applicants will be contacted for further discussion and/or interview.
This is a regular full-time position, working 37.5 hours per week. Hours worked beyond the regular work must be pre-approved by the area manager.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment and may require occasional visits to the warehouse. Appropriate PPE will be provided. Candidate must be able to be on feet for extended periods of time and be able to lift up to 25lbs. The qualified candidate must be open to working outside of normal business hours and weekends.
Education and Experience
· Undergraduate degree or diploma, or a relevant combination of skills, education, and experience.
· Previous warehouse experience.
· Forklift certification an asset.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Superior donor/customer relationship experience.
· Experience collaborating with marketing and public relations teams to communicate information to and from key stakeholders.
· Knowledge of food safety and food handling protocols.
· Comfortable and experienced handling cash donations.
· Ability to connect with new Canadians (donor and food bank clients).
· Strong Microsoft Office skills (Outlook and Teams).
· Database Inventory Management experience an asset.
· Exceptional time management and attention to detail.
· Knowledge of the non-profit sector an asset.