- Cash, cheque, or credit card.
- Receive a tax receipt for the full amount of the gift, for the year the gift was received.
- Shares that you own can easily be transferred to the Calgary Food Bank's brokerage account.
- The Calgary Food Bank will provide you with a Gift of Securities Form to ease the process.
- When you transfer shares in-kind, the capital gains tax is eliminated.
- The tax receipt is issued for the market value of the securities on the day they are received in our trading account.
- Donate employee stock options.
- Similar to a gift of appreciated securities, capital gains tax is eliminated.
- Sell the depreciated securities and donate the proceeds.
- Use the capital loss to offset any other capital gains you may have.
- A net loss can be used in previous tax years and can be carried back (consult an account or the Canada Revenue Agency for more specific information).
|Gifts of Life Insurance|
- Make the Calgary Food Bank the owner of a policy and continue to pay your premiums.
- Transfer ownership and continue to pay premiums.
- Receive a tax receipt for premiums paid after the ownership of the policy has been transferred.
- Allow for a deferred gift, while enjoying tax savings now.
|Gifts from your Estate|
- No immediate cost, but can allow for you to leave a larger gift than you can afford during your lifetime.
- Your Estate will receive a tax receipt to offset taxes owing at death.
|Proceeds from Retirement Funds|
- Name the Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank Society was the beneficiary of your RRSP or RRIF.
- The gift will go directly to the Calgary Food Bank.
- The tax receipt generated will offset taxes .