Mayor Nenshi Makes an Announcement!
“When individuals work with community to make the holidays brighter for their neighbours, you get amazing results. That strength in numbers is evident in a campaign total of more than $685,000!”said Nenshi.
Calgary Food Bank CEO, James McAra, told attendees how important this campaign is. “December is the beginning of the busiest time of year for us, and donations from this campaign will ensure that we can support our community through the New Year.”
25th Annual Mayor’s Christmas Food Drive
- The Mayor’s 25th Annual Christmas Food Drive ran through December 2013.
- The 2013 campaign total is $708,000 in food and funds.
- In 2012, $540,000 in food and funds was raised.
- Just under 130,000 individuals and families received food from our Emergency Hamper program last year (Sept 1, 2012-Aug 31, 2013).
- The holiday season typically sees a jump in client numbers. This time of year can be difficult for many whose finances are already strained due to:
- Seasonal employment ends
- Living expenses such as food, utilities and heating costs rise
- Rebuilding after the flood
- The Calgary Food Bank provides emergency food to Calgarians in short-term crisis.
- Our clients are your neighbours, from every quadrant in the city.
- We are proactive in addressing the ‘why’ clients are experiencing food insecurity and work diligently with more than 110 local agencies to ensure they receive the appropriate supports.
- 82% of our clients have used the food bank less than three times, and 41% have only visited us once.