Redirection of Food (aka Reverse Logistics)
Filling pantries, not landfills...
What is Reverse Logistics?
The Calgary Food Bank works with manufacturers, transportation companies, retailers, wholesalers and distributors to redirect viable but unwanted food.
allows us to utilize food that would otherwise be moved to a landfill site
The Charitable Donation of Food Act in Alberta removes liability from those in the food industry who support the Calgary Food Bank
Cindy Drummond and Trudi Webster
Email Cindy and Trudi
What are some reasons food shipments are viable but unwanted?
- a store declines a shipment because of damage to outer packaging, inner packaging remains intact
- consumer demand falls short of that anticipated, resulting in unsold product
- there is an error in packaging (ie. misaligned printing, content error, bar code change)
- a promotion or contest has ended and the business can no longer display the product
- suppliers have an abundance of ‘seasonal food’ left over at the end of the season
How can companies benefit?
- labour and waste disposal cost savings
- corporate social responsibility
- brand protection
- reduction of environmental footprint
- tax benefits